Nothing whatsoever to do with the novel, but now I have gone and done it.....
Last May, I was driving my two teens home from school. It had been senior awards day. My daughter, who is decidedly ho-hum about dating and boys, was chattering about the coach's son. He won athletic awards and academic awards. He was apparently smart and funny and sarcastic.....and one day when he was walking down the hall he burst into an opera song. I jokingly said, "Opera? Then you are allowed to date him." A look I had never seen passed over her face - a dreamy, slightly dazed, look. I stifled my laughter as I watched my 'who cares about boys" daughter transform into....mush.
"Mom, he's intriguing. He fascinates me."
Oh GOD, I thought.....
See, I know that sentiment. I cannot possibly enumerate the number of times that that type of thinking has led me down a rosy and hazy and dream filled path.......right off a cliff! Shall I never learn. A wiser woman would run, hide, change her identity, wear a disguise, as soon as those seeds of fascination began to.....sprout. But it is so much fun to be fascinated, to be curious, to be intrigued, to solve the quintessential mystery......who IS he? I had no idea this resided in my DNA, but it must be. I have unwittingly passed on this treacherous curiosity to my poor daughter.
As we say in the deep south...bless her heart.
Now, as I was saying, who IS he?
No comments:
Post a Comment