Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Not Another Happy Ending.....

I wanted to avoid it at all costs.  It is apparently a sign of depth of writing when a book ends badly.  In other words, happy endings are for wimps and amateurs.  So I was not going to happily resolve anyone's broken heart in this novel.  In real life, when one has a broken heart, another prince charming does not always appear.  The lost fortune is not always recovered.  The villain does not always learn his lesson or get his due.

But I cannot deny the inevitable.  One of my characters is going to find true love.  I may as well accept it as fact and continue to write.  Perhaps I can balance it by having one of the other characters lose a limb or obtain a giant goiter......

1 comment:

  1. I think happy endings are just fine, as long as they're not "happily ever after" tied up with a pretty bow happy endings.

    One of my favourite kinds of endings is where things get resolved in a really satisfying way, the MC has become a better (wiser) person from the adventure, and the author still manages to make the future open to possibility and uncertainty.

    That is no small feat.

    ReplyDelete